2.04.2009

Yes, It Is All About ME :]

All of our lives we are taught to do good deeds by our ever challenging parents and even sometimes by responsible friends. We become conditioned to believe in the well being of others and often begin to neglect ourselves. So where does it stop? When are we allowed to be selfish? Is there some sort of invisble boundary that once crossed excuses our ignorance? I must admit I'm still trying to figure this out. I like to think I'm full of good intentions, constantly trying to do nice things for people. I've had moments where I've realized I need to slow down, take care of myself, and not worry about others so much. But what about love? When you share that sort of intense emotion with another, is there such a thing as too much? It took me a semester and a few bad grades to realize that this state does exist. We often begin to feel like our own lives are under control and try to take on the fix-up situations of those we care about. Some might call it charity, others would label it a maternal instinct. Worrying so much about another's condition caused me to let my own priorities and obligations fall by the way side. I forgot about myself. As I reconnect now, it's important that I share what I've learned. You are only given one life....there is no retry, no freebie, and no second chance. It's up to you what you do with that life, but I suggest you find what ultimately makes you happy and live that life FOR YOU. I'm not telling you all to drop everything and become one of the snobbish girls you avoided in high school. I'm not saying that acts of kindness are a waste of time. The point I'm trying to demonstrate is that you should always make yourself your number one priority. If you keep yourself in line, others will be inspired to liken themselves to you. You'll become the happy, go-lucky soul who has it all together, someone I've been seeking out for a long time. Your life should be about YOU and the people who will be drawn to you by your responsibility, charisma, and determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment