5.05.2009

Politically Correct

Have you ever been on a journey, an adventure really, or an odd attempt to accomplish something you were not exactly sure was right? Have you ever worked really hard at something only to realize that maybe it wasn't what was best for you? I recently realized I was in one of those situations. This past fall/spring was my first year at Utah Valley University. I began studying for a Bachelor's of Science degree in elementary education. It was a couple semesters full of trials and triumphs. I learned so much and took some classes that I definitely wouldn't trade for anything. Yet during April of this year, I started to wonder. What if this isn't the right path for me? Last week I started to explore that idea a little bit. I was up late one night unpacking a few boxes of books when I came across some old favorites: The Jungle, Confederates in the Attic, and The Kite Runner. Then it hit me. I figured it out. I want to be a history teacher. Perhaps it was flipping through these novels and recalling the way I felt when I read them....the guilt for being so unthankful for what I have, the appreciation for those who suffered so this country could become great, and those who continue to go through tribulation every day so America can remain the symbol it currently is in the public eye. I got goosebumps. I knew this was the right choice. It reminded me of something one of my favorite high school teachers Steven Player once said to me: "History is so important because it is what allows the future to unravel." I must also admit that Mr. Player's influence was a huge factor in what guided me to make such a sudden decision. His love for history and politics played such a large role in my high school experience. It's something I have learned to appreciate whether I'm watching CNN, checking polls in the last presidential election, or just recalling crucial facts from the Civil War. If I had the power to impact a few students' lives in the way he did mine, why wouldn't I take advantage of that opportunity? The next day I called John Macfarlane, the history education advisor at UVU, and his positive attitude and helpful nature enforced the fact that I've made the right choice. I'm taking a few classes this summer that will go towards this degree and I must admit I'm very excited. I'll keep you updated on my journey towards becoming an educator....thanks for reading :]

2 comments:

  1. Yay, I think you will really enjoy your classes, it kind of makes me jealous:) I want to go back to school

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't is nice to make a decision and feel so secure in your choice. You rock press on.

    ReplyDelete